Thursday, 26 May 2011

Word of the Week

This week's word of the week: grockle

GROCKLE
noun
British informal, slightly derogatory

a holiday maker, especially one visiting a resort in Devon or Cornwall.

Grockle is, as stated, a term for a summer "holiday maker" (or tourist, basically).  Will and I were driving home the other day and in a one-lane part of the road, people were all mushed up into one and a half/two lanes and Will referred to them as likely being grockles.

This week's cultural awareness topic: holiday parks

Apparently loads of people from the UK come down here to Devon and the rest of Southwest England for the summer vacation months, or "summer holiday", more than doubling the population density for a few months.  Where do all these "holiday makers" go?  To holiday parks, of course!  These holiday parks are usually a little seaside enclosed area where people come, either rent a trailer or park an RV in huge massive rows, and just vacation for a week.  They usually have a few convenience stores, bars, a pool, maybe an arcade or entertainment center, but that's about it.  And apparently it's the greatest thing in the world.  Exmouth is next to one called Sandy Bay which I briefly walked through the other day on a hike along the cliffs and I thought it was a trailer park, but people actually spend loads of money to rent one for a week.  To each their own I suppose!  The one redeemer: the beach was actually quite nice, but Will says you can barely move on it in the summer months because it is so crowded.  I think I'll stick with camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment