moreishadjective
/ˈmɔː.rɪʃ/
/ˈmɔːr.ɪʃ/ UK informal approving
adjective
/ˈmɔː.rɪʃ/
/ˈmɔːr.ɪʃ/ UK informal approvingDefinition
(of food) having a very pleasant taste and making you want to eat more
These peanuts are very moreish, aren't they?
(Definition of moreish adjective from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/moreish
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/moreish
It's pronounced "more-ish" and basically it goes along with the "s'mores" idea, that when you want more of something, it's considered moreish.
"Those cookies are so moreish, I have to have another one."
It's one of my favorite new English words because it sounds like a fake word, like something a little kid would make up, but I hear it here all the time!
Expanding on word of the week, I'm going to do CULTURAL AWARENESS OF THE WEEK as well. This week's subject: sandwiches.
So I've been helping out at Will's mom's delicatessen (www.delytes.co.uk, I made the website :) ) and they sell lots of sandwiches and baguettes. The first thing you do when you make an English sandwich is you spread butter on each piece of the bread. Every sandwich I've had in England is loaded with butter!! It's not my thing, but apparently everyone else likes it. Give me some mayo please! Okay, so you have your sandwich, loaded with butter, and then you add the meat, and then "salad". They call lettuce and any other assorted vegetables collectively as "salad". So if you go into a deli, order a tuna sandwich, the cashier may ask you "salad?" and they mean on your sandwich, not a side salad. Stayed tuned for next week's vocabulary and cultural post!
No comments:
Post a Comment