This week's adorable British word: tipple
tipplenoun

/ˈtɪp.l ̩/ [C] informalDefinition
an alcoholic drink
What's your tipple (= What alcoholic drink do you usually drink)?
(Definition of tipple noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
I saw it in a newspaper the other day, the headline read "What's your favourite tipple?" and I asked Will what it meant. He says it's only really used in that context and basically refers to anyone's favorite drink. So a tipple = your usual alcoholic beverage.
moving on to..
Cultural Awareness of The Week!
This week's topic is wedding cakes. So apparently the traditional wedding cake of choice in England is, get ready for it: a fruit cake. A fruit cake?? Really? Yes, really.
In regards to wedding planning, Will keeps saying he doesn't mind, whatever I want is fine. Then, all of the sudden, when I decide on something, he has an opinion. "We're not having fruit cake? We have to have fruit cake!"
There are basically only three choices of cake for a wedding cake:
- Fruit cake (which apparently is the most traditional and popular)
- Yellow sponge cake (usually with a buttercream filling)
- Chocolate cake
One thing crossed off the never-ending list of wedding planning.
No comments:
Post a Comment