Friday, 10 June 2011

Word of the Week

This week's word is actually a phrase: "cheesed off"

Basically sounds like "cheese-d off" and it's kind of a nicer version of "pissed off".  I hear it all the time on the radio and television.

Definition: angry or irritated

Examples: "I was really cheesed off they made me go to the back of the queue."
                 "The system for London Olympic Ticket distribution has a lot of people cheesed off."


Cultural awareness of the week: going along with the word of the week, most people already know this but sometimes I keep forgetting, Cheddar cheese is white (not orange) in every country but America.

The only orange cheese that is really popular here is called Red Leicester (which I have yet to try).  I had macaroni and cheese the other day and it was white, weird.  Though the colour has taken a bit of getting used to, the taste has not; English Cheddar (the original cheddar, from Cheddar, England) is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment